Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The magic of + in gmail.

I learned at work the other day that gmail supports address tags. Basically you put user+tag@gmail.com, and the email gets delivered to you, just like if it were to user@gmail.com. Some websites won't accept '+' in email, but for sites that do, when you sign up for something and they ask for an email, you should place +sitename at the end. What does this get you? You can find out who's giving out your email address to third parties. It also makes writing filters easier. If you want all your amazon related email to get tagged as amazon, it's not enough to just use from: @amazon.com, because if you buy something from the marketplace, often the seller will email you. Here, you can just filter on user+amazon@gmail.com. This would be useful for mailing lists as well, as often the "you have subscribed" emails come from a different address.

This feature became useful for me recently. Since I started working at google, I haven't been checking my gmail quite as frequently. So I set up a forward to Tanya for all of my mail. This creates a problem if I want to order something for her birthday. So I changed my amazon email address to me+secret@gmail.com, and then made the forward only work for emails not delivered to me+secret.

Try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment